Women’s golf preview

Authors: Matt Spaulding

The CSU women’s golf team, under the direction of coach Angie Hopkins, feels well on its way to another successful season this fall. With the addition of a new course to practice on and the help of their star golfer, Stefanie Ferguson, the Rams have a clear goal in mind: to place in the top-5 in every tournament they play and take home first-place in at least one.

Ferguson, a junior from Broomfield, will be called upon to extend the success she enjoyed this summer. After being recognized as an All-American Scholar in July, Ferguson defeated the University of Denver’s Dawn Shockley to win the Colorado Women’s Golf Association Match Play Championship earlier this month.

Ferguson’s victory made it a CSU-sweep for the state match play championships after junior Zen Brown won the men’s tournament in July.

“It was a great way to come into this school year and this season,” Ferguson said. “I could not have asked for anything else.”

With four freshmen on the roster, the Rams have a good mix of young talent to compliment Ferguson.

Heritage High School grad Kayley Kempton highlights the group of new golfers. Kempton was ranked as the 17th best recruit in her class by the American Junior Golf Association.

Other freshmen include Sarah Anast, Cecilia Edlund and Katelyn Negrelli.

Kasey Claussen and Natalie Stone complete the roster as returning golfers, each of who have proven themselves at the collegiate already and look to help the Rams win as many tournaments as possible.

Coach Hopkins’ team is also looking forward to practicing and playing at a new facility. Harmony Golf Club, located east of I-25 on Harmony in Timnath, is a private course that has opened its doors to both the men’s and women’s teams this season.

“The facilities are very nice. It is always open to us to use whenever we want. I think it will really help this team this year,” Ferguson said.

The new facility, designed by CSU alum Jim Engh, has an indoor putting green and luxury locker rooms among some of its features.

With the ability to practice year-round, the Rams hope to see improvement in their game and ultimately lower their average scores.

The Rams tee off for their first tournament on Sept. 10 in the Ptarmigan/Ram Fall Classic at the Harmony Golf Club. The tournament will consist of teams from across the country, including the defending-champion CU, Washington State, Fresno State and Gonzaga.

With the talent the Rams have this year, along with new facilities to cultivate those skills, the Rams look to have a promising season yet again this fall.

Staff writer Matt Spaulding can be reached at sports@collegian.com