Hangin’ With Jonny Walker

Authors: Nick Hubel

On the field, senior wide receiver Jonny Walker is a leader in one of the most experienced and talented corps of pass catchers in CSU history. Last year the dynamic split end led the team in receptions with 58, was second in receiving yards with 586 and was ranked by “The Sporting News” as the 17th best return man in the country.

Recently Collegian football beat writer Nick Hubel caught up with the senior speech communications major to see what life is like both on and off the gridiron.

Q: So you are one of the leaders on a pretty stacked team of receivers. Do you feel any pressure to live up to all the hype?

A: I don’t think there’s any pressure on me, because all I have to do is to go out there and perform either the way that I have been performing or even better.

Q: How big of an advantage is it to have such an experienced group of guys?

A: All the receivers are old guys and they’ve got some experience so they know what they have to do. We know what we have to do as a team; just execute and make plays. Make those Xs and Os work.

Q: So what do you like to do when you are away from the field?

A: Most of the time, after these long practices we have, what I like to do is to just go home, relax and get in the bath. I’ve actually been taking baths, not showers lately. Just sort of relaxing and spending time with my son and my fianc/e.

Q: What’s your son’s name?

A: Jordan; he’s three. So I spend time with him, and then you know the usual, probably play the videogames a couple of times. Gotta play Madden or NCAA.

Q: You play with CSU, right?

A: Yeah, of course I do.

Q: You get yourself the ball a lot?

A: (Laughing) “Yeah, I go back with the quarterback a little bit too much and run the option with myself, try to make myself be the Heisman.”

Q: So how about after football, are you graduating this spring?

A: Actually, I’m definitely graduating in December, so that’s a plus.

Q: So where do you see yourself ending up?

A: After school, first if I don’t make it to the NFL, then just be around the NFL. Whether it’s coaching or being a broadcaster or something, just something around football.