Cookin’ with no dough

Authors: Liz Sunshine

Every semester is a time to start anew. A time to stay on top of school and work and promise your self that school will actually come first this time around.

For years now, (I still won’t tell you how long I’ve been in school, but I’m now in my last semester), I have made that very promise to myself. Every semester I end up over-booked and school seems to take a back seat to something else.

This semester not only do I seem to be short on money but time as well; a combo that makes me wish for the comforts of home.

A recipe from my childhood, which I haven’t had in years, is Muddy Buddies. Some of my friends didn’t have a clue what I was talking about when I said I was making it but, once they tried the buddies, they informed me that Puppy Chow was the proper name of the treat.

Whether you call them Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow, the recipe that my mom used to make as an after-school snack is straight off of the Chex box.

The recipe is easy to make and fairly forgiving, which is perfect right now in my multi-tasking frenzy.

Starting out, I measured 9 cups of Chex mix into a large bowl.

The recipe calls for the chocolate, peanut butter and butter to be melted together over low heat. Then mix in vanilla extract.

In my frenzy to cook, study and clean at the same time I forgot to add the vanilla. I kicked myself for forgetting, but fortunately the difference was minimal.

After the chocolate mixture was melted, which took about five minutes, I poured it on top of the Chex cereal and mixed thoroughly. Actually, finding a bowl large enough to do the mixing is the hardest part.

All that was left was to toss the mixture in powdered sugar and refrigerate.

At first I was concerned about the amount of puppy chow that would result from this recipe; nine cups of cereal is pretty much the whole box, but not even three days later there is only a handful left in my fridge.

Buddies, on a side note, are also excellent frozen if they make it that far.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe:

Muddy Buddies

(The recipe from the Chex box)

9 cups Chex, your choice of flavor

1 cup chocolate chips

/ cup peanut butter

/ cup butter

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 / cup powdered sugar

Measure out Chex cereal in a large bowl and set aside. In a sauce pan, combine butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips over low heat until melted.

Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal and combine thoroughly. In a large kitchen bag toss together cereal and powdered sugar.

To cool pour out muddy buddies on wax paper and to store place in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!