Authors: Heidi Reitmeier

Greek Life will be participating in the Involvement Fair Wednesday with the intention of wiping the slate clean.

The hope is that this semester’s fair will break down some of the stereotypes and misleading information that is often associated with Greek Life, said Sonja Jensen, the director for Greek Life.

Kevin Horrell, a junior chemistry major, is proud to be part of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and is troubled by the stereotypes that are associated with being Greek.

“I don’t take part in the stereotypical Greek activities of drinking my brains out and hooking up with girls,” Horrell said. “Really, that’s not accurate at all . I joined Beta Theta Pi because of how genuine and true the men are . this is our goal and it really hurts to see that people think differently of me because I am Greek.”

Courtney Graybeal, a junior psychology and pre-medicine double major, believes that learning more information about Greek Life will help break down some of the stereotypes associated with the organization.

“I used to be someone who did stereotype sororities,” Graybeal said. “It wasn’t until I learned more about them that I began to realize all the great things Greek Life brings to CSU and what a wide variety of women are involved.”

Leigh Theideman, graduate assistant for Greek Life and live-in advisor for Delta Chi, hopes the fair will bring a fresh perspective about Greek Life and the Greeks themselves.

“[Greeks] stand for excellence in scholarship, participation in philanthropic and community service events, creation of leadership opportunities and sincere friendship” Theideman said. “We are looking for students who exhibit these values because when you join a Greek chapter, you join for more than a year, but you join for life.”

Greek Life is separated into four different councils: National Pan-Hellenic Council, Latino/Latina Greek Council, Pan-Hellenic and Inter-Fraternity Council. The NPHC is made up of three fraternities and three sororities, and the LGC is made up of four sororities and three fraternities.

Each council will be represented at the Involvement Fair.

Recruitment for Greek Life, commonly known as rush, is set for Sept. 15- 19. The Pan-Hellenic Council is expecting close to 400 new recruitments and the Inter-Fraternity Council is expecting around 300 new recruitments, Jensen said.

For more information, contact the Greek Life office located in the Lory Student Center, across from the CSU Bookstore on the main level, or by visiting www.csugreeks.colostate.edu.

Staff writer Heidi Reitmeier can be reached at news@collegian.com.