Rams reveals lineup

Authors: Jeff Dillon

With the season opener against CU looming just five days away, the CSU football team released its first depth chart Monday and began preparations for the annual rivalry game.

The depth chart contained no major surprises, except for the fact that coaches have still yet to decide on the starting strong-side linebacker.

Freshman Ricky Brewer, sophomore Sedric Patterson and junior Curtis Cornelson are still battling it out for the spot, according to Defensive Coordintor Steve Stanard.

“We’re closing in on it,” Stanard said. “All three guys are going to be contributors this season. We’re looking for one of them to clean up some of the things they’ve been doing wrong.”

Stanard said the decision will be made by Thursday.

The other position of interest had been the starters at offensive line, which will be sophomore Cole Pemberton at left tackle, sophomore Shelley Smith at left guard, sophomore Tim Walter at center, senior Nick Allotta at right guard and sophomore Adrian Martinez at right tackle.

Allotta, who was penciled in by many as the starting center when fall camp began, was the only surprise, moving from center to guard.

“That’s the best five to put out there, that’s what it came down to,” said Offensive Coordinator Dan Hammerschmidt.

PRACTICE UPDATE:

The Rams began scout teamwork Monday in preparation for Saturday’s Rocky Mountain Showdown against CU.

Junior safety Mike Pagnotta said the defense is focusing on several keys.

“We’ve been focusing all week about turnovers,” Pagnotta said. “We want to be able to get the ball back in our offense’s hands. And we’ve got to make sure we don’t give up the big play.”

Good signs for the Rams were the returns of junior linebacker Jeff Horinek, who was out with a sprained left knee, senior defensive end Bom Vomhof from minor knee surgery and Pemberton, who had missed several practices with an ankle injury.