A recent press release entitled “Colorado State Ranked Among Nation’s Best” put out by the university shows that U.S. News and World Report has ranked us 62 among public universities.

What they fail to mention is that if you include private institutions in the number, as U.S. News and World Report did, CSU is actually in a seven way tie for 124.

This means that in reality, rather than being among the best, we are relatively mediocre.

Even further, when judged next to our peer institutions like CU Boulder (79) or Iowa State (85), or even the next lowest, Washington State (118), we seem to be falling behind.

For this reason, it just seems misleading for the university to purport that we are one of the best, when we can’t even keep up with our peers.

It’s especially irresponsible for this to be on the university Web site, where many new students and their parents go to get information about our institution.

Call us crazy, but we think they have a right to know exactly how we stack up, rather than an optimistic manipulation.

CSU should still be proud. For a cash-strapped university, being ranked among the top tier is an accomplishment in and of itself.

There are plenty of other things from the study that should have been listed – like our engineering program, ranked 57 overall.

There are many things to brag about at CSU – we shouldn’t be twisting numbers to make ourselves look good.