Rams start season 0-3

Authors: Brandon Owens

The CSU volleyball team, plagued by several service errors, had a rough start to its season over the weekend, losing all three matches at the Asics Challenge in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Although disappointed, coach Tom Hilbert remains optimistic.

“We will learn from this,” Hilbert said. “We are discovering things about our team and will continue to do so throughout the tournament. We just have to take this and get better from it.”

The Rams (0-3, 0-0) lost a heart-breaking match to Oregon State on Friday night, dropping their season opener in five games after taking a 2-1 lead. Junior outside hitter Jamie Strauss led CSU with 18 kills and a .293 hitting percentage in the match.

On Saturday evening, CSU was defeated again in five games, this time by host-Hawaii, the 10th ranked team in the country. Junior setter Ashley Fornstrom led the Rams with 58 assists, six kills and nine blocks, but her efforts were not enough.

The Rams started off the match slowly, loosing the first game, but then came back with consecutive victories in games 2 and 3. However, CSU had 20 service errors and the Rainbow Wahine proved to be too strong for the Rams, taking care of business in games 4 and 5.

CSU went on to lose the third and final match of the weekend late Sunday night to Michigan, starting its season 0-3 for the first time since 1977.

For the Rams, the first two losses were painfully similar. In both matches, the Rams lost game 1, then blew a 2-1 game advantage to loose in five, each time by just two points.

Service errors killed the Rams all weekend, as they tallied 43 of them in the first two matches alone.

Strauss said she was aggravated about the outcome of the first two matches.

“It is frustrating that we lost,” Strauss said. “We out hit and out blocked our opponents and only lost by two points. It is hard to have that happen in both games.”

The CSU volleyball team will begin its home schedule this week with the Coors Classic. The Rams host Ohio State Thursday night at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena.

Volleyball beat reporter Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com

Asics Invitational Recap

Friday: Oregon State def. CSU 3-2 (27-30, 30-25, 30-24, 28-30, 16-18)

Saturday: Hawaii def. CSU 3-2 (21-30, 30-22, 30-27, 25-30, 13-15)

Sunday: Michigan def CSU 3-1 (25-30, 30-24, 30-25, 30-22)