In regards to Phil Elder’s column about Murdoch’s vast grip on the “main-stream” media, one must only turn on their television to the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric to see the other side of the story.

Now, I’m not completely sure how much more “mainstream” you can get than a station that is literally available across the entire country without purchasing expensive cable/satellite stations.

If anything, Murdoch is bringing balance to the left’s news empire, which holds great sway in papers like The New York Times, The L.A. Times and yes, even the Denver Post.

As for Murdoch controlling The Wall Street Journal, history has shown us that a right wing view, more often than not, will provide one’s self with more success than a liberal’s approach. Why do you think that many corporations and successful entrepreneurs often see themselves as having conservative economic views?

This is just another ploy by the liberal media to be able to censor and eventually break apart any grip the right wing base has gained in news media, just like they were/are trying to ban the one area that conservatism has a strong grip on-Talk Radio.

I was hoping that with a new school year, there would come new and more balanced columnists in the Collegian. I honestly don’t know what I was thinking.

Casey Cotton

Sophomore biochemistry major

hazana15@yahoo.com