Authors: Ashley Emmons

RamRide will kick off its fifth year by giving its 50,214th ride tonight.

RamRide is a program attempting to help prevent drunk driving. The service runs Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

According to Students Against Driving Drunk (SADD), motor vehicle crashes remain the number one cause of death among youth ages 15-20. In 2005, 28 percent of youth drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes had been drinking.

When calling RamRide, students must give the operator their name, student ID number, their location and how many people RamRide will be picking up. RamRide will pick students up and take them home. RamRide will not take students to other parties, bars, etc.

CSU senior Mark Settle, assistant director of RamRide for the Associated Student of CSU, said as long as people are in and live in Fort Collins, they will get a RamRide.

“We will pick them up and take them home from parties, the library, work any type of reason,” Settle said.

This year RamRide is increasing the number of cars and lowering the age of student volunteers to 18.

The program added another minivan to Thursday nights, allowing it to have six cars instead of the five it had last year. Friday and Saturday RamRide will continue to run 13 cars.

“We wanted another car, so we could have a few cars to do the loops around the bars because that’s where most of our riders come from,” said Director of RamRide Holli Kinkel.

Sophomore Sara Mitchell, a psychology major, said volunteering for RamRide is simple.

“If you want to volunteer, you go online or go to the Associated Students of Colorado State University (ASCSU) office to sign up,” Mitchell said. “You fill out a volunteer form and pick a night you want to do and you choose a position.”

RamRide is a non-judgmental program, which means students who use its service will not receive any type of disciplinary action from the university.

“We are here to serve students we are not here to judge students,” Settle said.

Reporter Ashley Emmons can be reached at news@collegian.com.

————————————

To learn more about RamRide visit www.ramride.colostate.edu

Important Information

The service runs on Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. The RamRide number is (970) 491-3333.

* RamRide only provides rides to an individual’s home. Drivers will not take passengers to parties, clubs or bars.

* RamRide will maintain documentation of every call received and ride given.

* Each RamRide vehicle is equipped with a cell phone, trash bags, plastic gloves, flashlights, area map, first aid equipment and emergency policy information.

* RamRide headquarters maintains a direct line of communication with each vehicle at all times.

* RamRide uses a status board to constantly monitor the location and number of passengers within each RamRide vehicle at all times.

* RamRide members can easily be identified by their distinctive shirts and the presence of the RamRide logo.

* RamRide requires that every passenger sign a waiver of responsibility before being transported by RamRide.