Cookin’ with no dough

Authors: Liz Sunshine

Every year around this time being an art student becomes more expensive than usual. Even though this is my last semester, and I am only taking four classes, my books and supplies are nearing $500 already, and I am not yet finished purchasing.

This phenomenon is causing an empty bank account, and since I still have to eat during this fiasco, I have rekindled my love affair with Ramen noodles.

I should note that this is not a healthy (or gourmet) affair, but it is a cheap one.

This week I took a note out of my cousin, Cynthia’s book and made a salmon linguini dish.

In her recipe Cynthia calls for linguini, leftover salmon, lemon, garlic, chicken broth, olive oil, salt, pepper and scallions. This actually sounds pretty good and would be the perfect way to rid your fridge of some extra fish.

Since there wasn’t any leftover salmon in my fridge, and I needed to make this a cheap and filling meal, I used canned salmon and Ramen noodles.

Generally the only time I would use the canned stuff is for salmon patties (this is a different column on comfort food), but this week I found cans ten for $10 at my local grocery store; Ramen is also reserved for when I am ill or really scant so I went for both in this recipe.

The total for my shopping trip was just under $8. That included two cans of salmon, four packages of chicken flavored Ramen, one bunch of scallions and two lemons.

Following Cynthia’s instructions, I cooked the Ramen for a minute and a half and then drained it.

In the same pot I saut/ed three tablespoons of olive oil, a clove of garlic and the sliced white part of the scallions. So far, everything is working out. The smell of garlic had permeated my apartment, and I certainly had enough pasta to feed four.

I put the drained Ramen back in the pot and poured in two cups of chicken broth, the juice of one lemon and the green parts of the sliced scallions.

Side note: to make the two cups of broth, I combined two cups of water and one seasoning packet from the Ramen.

After that all had been combined and simmered for 2-3 minutes, I added the two cans of drained salmon and seasoned the meal with salt and pepper.

Dinner was ready, but unfortunately my guests were not. The photographer, Katie, had to leave early this week and did not have the chance to taste, and my other guest was not feeling well, so he stuck to chicken noodle soup and mashed potatoes.

I, on the other hand, did brave the concoction and was pleasantly surprised. I would have preferred fresh/leftover salmon, but other than that, it was a decent dish. The noodles had soaked up the broth and lemon juice, giving them a tart and salty taste. And in the end, I was fulfilled.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe:

Salmon Ramen “Linguini”

Serves 4 (can easily be cut in half or quarters if serving just one)

4 packages chicken flavored ramen noodles

2 lemons

2 cans salmon (in water)

1 bunch scallions sliced and separate white from green

1 clove garlic, minced

olive oil to cover the pan (canola can be substituted in a pinch)

2 cups water

Cook noodles according to package but cut cook time in half. Drain and set aside.

Make chicken broth with one flavoring packet and two cups of water. Cook in microwave for 1 minute.

Saut/e garlic and white part of scallions in olive oil for one minute. Return the ramen to the pot and add broth, juice of two lemons and green parts of the scallions. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Add salmon and toss everything together. Enjoy!