Authors: Kris Cote

Students looking to get involved at CSU will have every opportunity next Wednesday at the Student Involvement Fair.

The Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE) Office will be hosting the event on the Lory Student Center Plaza from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

SLiCE Program Coordinator Deanna Leone said the fair is a two-fold event, providing exposure for the clubs and information to the students.

“It gives the student organizations an opportunity to showcase what they do,” Leone said. “And it shows the new students who’s out there.”

This semester about 125 different student clubs, sports teams and organizations- ranging from the Medieval Society to the Rams Cycling Team- will be out to show students why they should join.

Greek Life Graduate Assistant Leigh Thiedeman says the sororities and fraternities will be out in full force at the fair, with most of the chapters turning out. Getting students involved is very important, she said, and the fair is a great way to do it.

“The more involved students are with extra curricular activities, the better college experience they have,” Thiedeman said. “The fair is a great way to get students involved because it gives students a chance to see all of the organizations in one place.”

Quill Phillips, a junior human development and family studies major, is the vice president of the Black Student Alliance. She said the fair is important because it gives students an opportunity to find something in which they are interested.

“There are over 300 organizations on this campus,” Phillips said. “Students should be able to find something they enjoy and get involved with it.”

In the past, the fair has drawn a lot of attention from students, Leone said.

“Last year we estimated about 3,000 walked through,” she said. “You’ll see several hundred students at any one time.”

This year, she hopes students will at least stop by and see what the groups had to offer.

“We want students to know that there’s no obligation to get involved, but this is a great opportunity to se the benefits of getting involved,” she said.

Staff writer Kris Cote can be reached at news@collegian.com.