Authors: Ricki Dugdale

For the second consecutive year, CSU is welcoming a record number of freshmen to campus, and their presence is not going unnoticed.

The 2007 freshman class is projected to be close to 4,400 students for fall enrollment, said Mary Ontiveros, executive director of admissions. That tops the previous record of 4,093 held by the 2006 freshmen class.

One reason for the increased numbers in freshmen enrollment might be new strategies in recruitment.

When undergraduate enrollment dropped from 20,720 in 2005 to 20,500 in 2006, the university began to adjust how they were attracting potential undergraduates. This included involving more staff members to handle more recruiting in-state and out-of-state.

“Our goal is to increase the number of undergraduates,” Ontiveros said. “We are starting to see numbers in response to our efforts.”

Although more work comes with more students, seeing the number of admissions increase is a positive sign for faculty and staff.

“We are celebrating,” Ontiveros said. “This is exactly what we wanted.”

Even smaller organizations on campus are witnessing the record-breaking numbers.

The Key Communities, a program designed to increase freshmen retention and diversity at CSU, is seeing their largest numbers. Network CSU is capped at 38 students, Key Academic is at 186 students with the potential to hold 190, and Key Service is at 142 students with the potential to hold 150.

“All three communities are full, where in past years we have not reached capacity,” said Tae Nosaka, the assistant director for the Center for Advising and Student Achievement. “We are serving the largest community, and we are very excited.”

Students also took notice to the unusually crowded campus the first day of classes.

“I’ve had a hard time getting through the hallways because of all the new freshmen,” said Nicole Carr, a junior food science major.

Carr has also been at the heart of all the commotion while working at the information desk.

“It’s been busy with new freshman and transfers because they’re not familiar with campus,” Carr said.

Some freshmen were surprised to see the traffic on campus.

“Campus was crowded,” said Traci Jensen, a freshman open-option major.

Official enrollment numbers will be released after the campus census scheduled for September 5.

Staff writer Ricki Dugdale can be reached at news@collegian.com.