Authors: Anica Wong

A tour of CSU’s new Academic Village is enough to make some upperclassmen wish they were freshmen.

The new facility boasts air conditioning, private bathrooms, wireless Internet throughout all of the buildings and the ability to go to some classes without leaving the building.

“Everyone is really upbeat and excited,” said Sharon Trammell, the office manager of the newest residence hall.

The dining commons have yet to be finished, but reports are that the construction will be done for the spring semester.

The Academic Village consists of the Honors Living Learning Community and the Engineering Living Learning Community.

“We are integrating academic learning with living,” said Tonie Miyamoto, the director of communications for Housing and Dining Services.

Seminar rooms, a fireside lounge where meetings and social activities can be held, as well as the honors office, are all included in the Honors building.

“We like the ceilings a lot because they are really high,” said Kelsey Miller, a freshman biomedical sciences major who lives in the Honors Village.

Included in the Engineering building are design studios and electronic classrooms.

Aaron Benally, program coordinator for Women and Minorities in the Engineering Program, also lives in this new building.

He will be initiating cooking activities and informational sessions on the engineering program, in addition to making himself available for students to speak with.

“I want to make the community more homely,” Benally said.

Benally lives in a 1,600 square feet townhouse-style apartment within the engineering building that has three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a kitchen and living area.

“The facilities are really well-put together,” said Benally.

While most people are very excited about the new residence hall and all of its amenities, some have complaints.

Dani Graham, a freshman business major in the Honors Village, is worried that because each room has its own private bathroom, students will be less inclined to meet people in the bathrooms or to make sure their doors are open so others can drop by.

“I definitely like the bigger windows in the other dorms,” Victor Wood, a freshman open option major, said. The small windows in his room in the Honors side of the village are the only downside in his mind.

The Housing and Dining Services took out bonds to pay the $42 million that it took to construct the new complex.

“It doesn’t impact student’s tuition,” Miyamoto assured.

Students who do live in the new village pay about six percent more than they would in a standard suite in another residence hall. But for Graham, all of the amenities outweigh the extra cost.

“Six percent is definitely worth it.”

Staff writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com

Break out box

/ $42 million to build the Academic Village

/ 275 employees worked on the site

/ 14 months of construction, plus 4-5 extra months for the dining commons to be finished.

/ 193 double rooms

/ 25 single rooms

/ 12 resident assistants

Air conditioning, private bathrooms, wireless Internet throughout all of the buildings and the ability to go to some of their classes without leaving the building