Authors: Valerie Hisam

CSU will welcome incoming freshmen and transfer students this week as part of its annual Ram Welcome event.

Starting Thursday freshmen will be moving into the residence halls, where they will be welcomed by various campus organizations signed up to help with move in. The Ram Welcome carnival, which includes rides, games and food, begins at 6 p.m.

As a campus-wide event, Ram Welcome has become a tradition at CSU over the past four years, and is where new students have the opportunity to get to know the campus, faculty and other students outside of class.

“It (Ram Welcome) was an idea that was created on a back porch by the student affairs planning people,” said Jody Donovan, assistant to the vice president for student affairs. “We thought it would be great to welcome back students this way.”

With one of the highly popular events being the carnival, there are also helpful shopping ventures to Target, a hike to the hillside “A” and RAMapalooza, where the casino night of games and prizes attracts a large crowd to the Lory Student Center.

“Ram Welcome is a wonderful celebration for the community to welcome the new students, their families and to also welcome back returning students,” Donovan said. “It also serves as a celebration of the new academic year for faculty and staff as well.”

This year’s Ram Welcome will include more involvement and information sessions for transfer and commuter students.

“It’s a combination of things. I think Ram Welcome helps students meet a lot of people so that they have kind of found their niche,” she said. “But then there’s the College Day (Friday, Aug. 17), where they learn about academic expectations, get their Forever-Green shirt and for the first time this year, get a Forever-Green tradition book.”

Donovan said that although the fun games and activities appeal more to students, the academic sessions are really important for students and can help them get off to the right start in college.

“We blend it so it’s both academic and fun,” Donovan said. “We emphasize that college is about making connections and being a part of the social community, and making connections and being a part of the academic community.”

Although there have been changes and tweaks to make Ram Welcome more useful and fun, it is still all about connecting new students with CSU and the local community.

And it’s not just CSU’s prerogative, community members are also encouraged to get involved in the event.

“It’s significant that the entire campus and community come together for this,” Donovan said. “There are volunteers from faculty, the president’s office, athletics and facilities. It’s the entire campus that helps to make the difference.”

For more information on Ram Welcome go to ramwelcome.colostate.edu.

Staff writer Valerie Hisam can be reached at verve@collegian.com.