Why I am a conservative

Jul 242007

Authors: Joseph Haynie

Why am I conservative?

At first blush the response is simple: because of my parents. I was born into a conservative household and, like most people, adopted the political views of my parents. Please do not discount or discredit my comments because of this. I, like the rest of you, am now an agent unto myself.

Having had to stretch my wings and leave the nest I have been able to develop my own views of the world in which I live. For the majority of my formative years I was able to live abroad. As a result I gained an appreciation and strong reverence for this country of ours. Albeit flawed, it is hard to find anything better.

I believe in a living and loving God who has and continues still to watch over this nation. From its foundation, a Divine hand has guided and directed us in all of our endeavors. I believe that this faith, or, as the forefathers stated in the Declaration of Independence, “a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence”, has sustained our leaders and citizen soldiers in the most harrowing experiences, and given them the courage and confidence to overcome their trials. I do indeed believe the collective successes of this nation to be the result of Divine engineering.

I believe in the sanctity of life. Life is the first unalienable right stated in the Declaration of Independence. The founders of this great nation recognized its importance, and, I believe, sought to instill this virtue in the generations to follow.

Abortion, or the infringement upon the right of the unborn to live, does not fit into this plan. Although I believe us to be agents unto ourselves, possessing a divine right to choose, I believe we have an obligation to make the right decision, especially when life is in the balance.

I believe in limited government. I don’t feel safe with a governing body of my peers and equals endowed with more power than is necessary to lead and direct the functions of this nation. Big government bares a striking resemblance to malignant tumor. If left unchecked and uncontrolled, it will overtake the body, ultimately leading to death.

I believe in low taxes. There is no need to excessively tax the populous. Small coffers can be sufficient for a country’s needs if they are modestly managed with sobriety and frugality. Washington is overflowing with waste and reeks of pork. Cultures of corruption have grown accustomed to the accessibility of public funds and have thrown caution to the wind when it comes to spending. Prudence, unfortunately, is not evident in most of the daily dealings of those in charge.

I love America. However I fear for the future if certain ideologies get control of the reins. There are those that seek to distance America from its rich heritage of faith in a higher Being. There are those that wish to desecrate life in favor of an easy out, an escape from the consequences of poor decisions. There are those that wish to expand the influence of government, inviting them to oversee every aspect of their lives, including their pocket books.

You ask why I am conservative. I’ll tell you. It’s simple. There’s no better way.

Joseph Haynie is a senior political science major. His column appears occasionally in the summer Collegian edition. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com