Reality TV could hit CSU

Jul 102007

Authors: Aaron Rognstad

MTV producers are currently looking for CSU business students to cast in “Quad Squads,” a reality show that follows college rivals competing in an “Apprentice”-esque battle of wits, wills and guts.

Students selected for the competition will showcase their business and marketing skills in a national job audition. The winner of the “Quad Squads” competition will receive an internship with Ford Motor Company and other prizes totaling up to $5,000.

If CSU students make the cut for the series that airs on the mtvU network, camera crews would come to campus.

Dr. Todd Donovan, an assistant professor of sports marketing at CSU, says the show would be an excellent chance for business and marketing students to show off their skills in a professional atmosphere.

“This is a good opportunity, and students should be aggressive in pursuing this,” Donovan said. “Just being able to compete is invaluable. An endeavor like this adds to the overall business experience.”

And some CSU students are anxious to apply.

“It would be fun and beneficial,” Stacie Kaufman said, a junior marketing major. “Definitely something to put on the resume.”

“Quad Squads” takes two teams of college students from traditional rival schools – say, CSU and CU-Boulder – and puts them in a competition surrounding business and marketing ideas.

“It’s the next best thing to the Real World,” senior business minor Amethyst Guthman said. “Bring it on.”

Past installments of the series have featured students from Indiana and the University of Illinois, who competed to develop the best college-focused marketing program for MSN, as well as students at Auburn and the University of Alabama, who were challenged to develop the best “Snickers Satisfies” marketing campaign.

“Not only would this be a great opportunity for students to jumpstart their careers, but it would be great press for the school itself to be shown in the national spotlight,” Jaime Laetsch said, a business graduate student. “I would love to see us square off against CU and win.”

Online applications for “Quad Squads” are available at mtvU.com and will be accepted until July 31.

All the episodes from past seasons of “Quad Squads” are available at: www.mtvU.com/on_mtvu/quad_squads/.

Staff writer Aaron Rognstad can be reached at news@collegian.com.