Jun 262007

Authors: Robyn Scherer

Well, Paris Hilton. Too bad. You did get to go, to jail. And honestly, I think it is the best thing that could happen to the celebrity world, because all too often, celebrities seem to get away with whatever they want.

Paris Hilton was sentenced to forty-five days in jail for violating her probation after being pulled over last spring driving with a suspended license.

Hilton had been pulled over last fall for drinking and driving. She had a blood alcohol level of .08, so she was cited with a DUI.

Rather than being sentenced to rehab, as seems to be the trend, finally a celebrity is being sentenced to jail.

Off to rehab you go, seems to be the attitude today. Celebrities don’t get to go to jail like the rest of us for the same crime. Instead, many are allowed to attend rehab instead of jail. What does this show the world?

To many teens and people in their early twenties, it shows it is ok to commit crimes and that you do not have to be responsible for your actions.

Putting Paris Hilton in jail, however, shows the world that celebrities, and anybody, can be held responsible for what they do.

Sure, Hilton was in jail a grand total of three days before she was let out and sentenced to house arrest. The next day, however, she was required to go back.

In addition, she was also given a special room assigned to high profile celebrities because she did not seem to like the regular cells.

On June 25th, Paris will be released from jail. Although she was sentenced to serve 45 days, she will in fact only serve 23 days of those.

Does she deserve to get off early? Frankly, I don’t care. I’m just happy she went.

Maybe her stint behind bars will encourage other judges to become harder on other celebrity criminals. Let’s send them all to jail in addition to rehab. Maybe then they will start acting like the role models they should be.

Or maybe we need to just prosecute them like everybody else.

Looking at this last week’s People magazine, there are photos of many underage celebrities, including Lindsay Lohan, Aaron Carter, and others, consuming alcohol. These teens should be charged with an MIP just as any other underage person would be.

Lindsay Lohan, another out of control celebrity, recently crashed her Mercedes while under the influence of drugs. This is the same person who had checked into rehab in January and attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Keep in mind, this girl is only 20. I hope, for the sake of every underage person, that she is sentenced to jail for her crime. Anybody else would be.

Many high profile celebrities have been sentenced to jail – including Courtney Love, Winona Ryder, Nicole Richie, Kelsey Grammar, Andy Dick, and others. And yet, many have been given an alternative to jail time.

Why not just put them in and get it over with?

How can we expect the madness to end when we refuse to do anything about it.

Brad Paisley’s song “Celebrity” pretty much sums up the celebrity mindset with the current system in place.

“Can’t wait to wreck a Ferrari, on my way to rehab.and not get community service, no matter which law I break.”

Oh Mr. Paisley, how right you are.

Robyn Scherer is a sophomore animal science major. Her column appears Wednesdays in the summer Collegian edition. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com