Jun 192007

Authors: LIZ SUNSHINE The Rocky Mountain Collegian

I decided to take the old favorite out for a spin this week when I found out I wouldn’t have to cook at Dave McSwane’s again. If you missed it, the place was questionable at best and so once again I was on a mission to find a new grill to use.

Jenny Fischer was kind enough to offer up her home and grill, a grill that was not only clean but also large enough to cook for four. Already the prospects for this week are much better than last.

Growing up kebabs were a quick summer meal that was perfect for when the family was on the run.

We never got too fancy chicken, bell peppers, tomatoes and onion were generally all that graced our bamboo sticks.

As a kid the idea of grilled tomatoes was always a bit weird. The outside would char and the inside would be mush. The maters would never sweeten like the onion and therefore they always ended up on the outskirts of my plate which is where they still reside today.

When I make my own kebabs I use a marinade on my chicken and prefer bell peppers, red onion and zucchini.

Just as it did in the past, this week was a meal on the run. I am in the midst of taking two classes and the homework is, just like during the school year, piling up.

After leaving class I headed home to prepare my chicken so I started with washing and cutting it into cubes.

My marinade consisted of Dijon mustard, olive oil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Since it is such a rich liquid the chicken only sat for an hour in my fridge as I cut my veggies.

I also soaked my bamboo sticks in water so they would not catch on fire. Promise me you will do the same; I do not want to be responsible for any accidental house fires. Or even better, use metal ones but be careful when taking them off the grill.

Grilled vegetables are my favorite because much of the time the flavor is altered for the better. Red onion is the perfect example here, raw it is spicy and a flavor that is, for many, too much to handle. Once grilled the onion takes on more of a sweet, mellowed flavor.

The kebobs were a hit with the locals, read Jenny her husband Micah and my trusty photographer Katie Stevens.

The other half of our plates was filled with grilled peaches and nectarines. They were simple to prepare as all I had to do is split them in half and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

In retrospect the sweet flesh could have stayed on the grill a bit longer but that can be fodder for a different time.

For now L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe:

Chicken Marinade

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 cup olive oil

2 teaspoons red crushed pepper

3 teaspoons Italian seasoning

Combine mustard and seasonings to a bowl. Continually wisk the mixture as you slowly pour in the olive oil to create an emulsion.

Marinate the chicken in the sauce and skewer your choice of veggies along with the chicken on to the bamboo sticks.

Cook on a medium heat grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165/.