Connecting alums and CSU

Authors: Anica Wong

5,000 members strong and standing behind the slogan, “The Alumni Association connects you to CSU alumni and friends around the world,” the Alumni Association of CSU offers alums, new and old, many different ways to continue the bond they share with CSU.

“Through the Alumni Association, we offer new alums a way to stay connected to CSU,” said Kellen McMartin, the coordinator of member services for the Alumni Association.

Recent graduates receive many benefits with their reduced fee of $25 a year, which makes them certified members of the Alumni Association. Members will receive a monthly e-newsletter, a magazine that is produced three times a year as well as the connection with several Ram Networks around the nation.

There are several large Ram Networks that new alums can join, including associations in Denver, Phoenix, Ariz., Washington, D.C., the Bay Area of California, Los Angeles, Calif., Orange County, Calif. and Kansas City, Mo.

For students staying in the Denver area, McMartin suggests attending the New Grad Welcome Party in Denver. The party will be on June 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Colorado Business Bank lobby.

“This is a great way for recent grads to get plugged into the network,” McMartin said.

As well as helping alums keep close ties with CSU, the Alumni Association also offers members several different services.

Alums have the option to receive a CSU credit card through U.S. Bank, where a portion of the money is donated back to the Alumni Association to fund specific scholarships.

Grads can also consolidate their student loans through Nelnet and receive discounted medical insurance through American Insurance Administrators as members of the Alumni Association.

“I joined because I wanted to support the Alumni Association and to make sure that I was staying involved,” said Joel Cantalamessa, a 1995 graduate of CSU.

He only joined a few months ago but is already seeing the benefits of becoming a member.

“I like how hard (the Alumni Association) works to keep former students involved,” said Cantlamessa.

Along with being involved with CSU in several ways, Cantalamessa is also the founder of RamNation.com, on online Web community that is based around CSU athletics and alumni.

“It is a neat tool to get to know other (CSU) fans and alumni,” Cantalamessa said.

The Web site has several message boards where alumni and Ram fans can talk with each other about CSU athletics as well as general CSU events.

For more information about benefits of becoming a member of the Alumni Association and services provided by the organization, visit www.CSUAlum.com.

Staff writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com.