Authors: Amanda Hudick

Six CSU graduate students all working toward their Master of Fine Arts degrees will bring their talents to the Hatton Gallery starting this Friday.

Each student chooses a type of art with the help of his or her adviser and a graduate committee, and then works hard to complete the pieces in time for the big show.

“The thesis exhibitions are the culmination of a graduate student’s work towards the M.F.A. degree,” said Linda Frickman, director of the Clara Hatton Gallery.

Featured students include Cory Cason, whose subject for his piece is fibers, and Anthony Holmquist and Adrea Martens, both of whom are doing printmaking. J.M. Jensen, Jay Hopkins-Reile and Karen Lynn Link are all doing painting as their artwork of choice.

There is no specific timeframe the students must use to complete their pieces; however, their work is usually completed over an extensive time period.

The exhibition isn’t part of any class, but it is required for graduate students in order to complete their Master of Fine Arts degree. Each student seeking this degree must participate in one of these shows.

An opening reception for the exhibition will be in the gallery on Friday, May 4, from 5 to 7 p.m. The reception is free to anyone who would like to come and enjoy the magnificent works of CSU’s graduates.

The students’ work will be on display from May 4 until June 8.

“These events have gone on as long as I can remember – I’ve been here 19 years,” Frickman said.

The thesis exhibitions are held in the Clara Hatton Gallery, located in the Visual Arts Building, at the end of every semester with different graduate students’ artwork on display each time.

The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m.

There are no awards, or first or second places, but for the graduate students, the true reward is the feeling of accomplishment.

Staff writer Amanda Hudick can be reached at verve@collegian.com.