Are U Safe?

For all of you students currently residing off campus or soon planning to do so, here are some useful facts that you should know regarding the three unrelated law (also known as “U+2”).

The three unrelated law has been on the books since 1960, but recently has been revamped and more resources have been put into enforcement. Within the city of Fort Collins, the law now states that it is illegal to have more than three unrelated individuals residing in a single residence. However, there are exceptions to this law which includes boarding houses, sorority houses, fraternity houses, and some apartment complexes such as Rams Crossing, The Lofts at Campus West, Rams Pointe and Rams Village.

In order to enforce this law, the city must receive supporting evidence such as tenants’ names or license plate numbers. Once the city staff receives a complaint they begin an investigation and contact the owner or property manager to request a copy of the disclosure forms. If the situation is corrected within the first notice period, no citation or penalty will be issued. On the other hand, if the situation is not corrected the city can issue a citation to the owner, landlord, and/or each tenant of the property who can all be fined as much as a $1,000 a day. After being given the citation, parties have ten days to pay the fine or request a hearing.

With no more than three unrelated people in your home and a $1,000 consequential fine, we find this law discriminatory. As college students, it is unfortunate to be pressured to move into an oftentimes more expensive three-bedroom home when the opportunity (though illegal by law) to reside in a less costly home with more than three bedrooms exists. Therefore, the law can create financial inefficiency for home renters. Not only are there money issues, but the law is enforced inequitably in that it allows punishment of any group of unrelated individuals (more than three), regardless of whether they are a true conflict to their area of residence. For more information on Three Unrelated, contact the Student Legal Services, Off Campus Student Services or the City of Fort Collins. In addition, we will also be on the Lory Student Center Plaza from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, May 3, to answer your questions.

Ashton Williams, Brian Foster, Garret Davies, Josh Caskey, Kelly Stringham and Kristin Jacob contributed to this column. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.