Authors: Mike Donovan

CSU offensive tackle Clint Oldenburg, who started 34 games for the Rams, was selected as the 171st draft pick by the New England Patriots during the fifth round of Sunday’s NFL draft.

The six-foot-five-inch, 305-pound Oldenburg told the Boston media in a Sunday conference call that he had a feeling the Patriots may be the team selecting him.

“They’ve been scouting me all throughout my senior year of college and they have been there all along so it’s no surprise that they wanted to take me today,” said Oldenburg, from his Fort Collins home. “I’m happy to be in the situation I’m in.”

The Gillette, Wyo., native is the highest selection from CSU since John Howell went 117th to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001.

Oldenburg started all 12 games his senior season and was rewarded for his play with All-Mountain West second team recognition. At the time, Oldenburg told the Collegian he would take victories over the personal glory.

“I would trade any amount of personal recognition just to have a winning team,” Oldenburg said.

There were 12 offensive tackles selected ahead of Oldenburg, who hopes to make a team that already has 10 offensive linemen signed through the 2007 season.

Oldenburg was selected ahead of Heisman Trophy winner and Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith (174), Colorado kicker Mason Crosby (193), and Wyoming safety John Wendling (184).

Sports Editor Mike Donovan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.