Authors: Jeff Dillon

With less than two weeks remaining before the Mountain West Conference championships, CSU track and field looks to build momentum with split-squad competitions this weekend.

Most of the squad will head to Laramie, Wyo., for the first annual Wyoming Invitational, while seven others will travel to Des Moines, Iowa, for the Drake Relays.

The squad headed to Laramie includes seniors Rob Watson and Nicole Feest, both of whom are coming off record-breaking performances at the Oregon Invitational last weekend.

Watson broke the CSU record in the steeplechase by running an 8:38.92, breaking Mike Nicks’ record of 8:42.98 set in 2005. Watson is currently ranked third in the nation in the event.

Feest also broke a CSU record, taking the program’s top time in the 10,000 meters, 34:00:73, which broke Sarah Picollo’s 1997 record of 34:08:94

Watson and Feest were each named the athletes of the week this week in the MWC.

Competing against the Rams in Laramie will be Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado-Boulder, Northern Colorado, UCCS and Black Hills State.

Leading the Rams at the Drake Relays this weekend are seniors Justin Hazzard and Danielle Korb, each of whom have already qualified for the NCAA Regionals.

CSU has excelled in several areas this season, but currently has the MWC’s top quartet in the women’s 4×100 meter relay, with Megan Fox, Tanesha Johnson, Emily Pearson and Janay DeLoach undefeated in the event this season.

The Rams are also one of just six teams nationally to have qualified 10 or more athletes for NCAA regional competition in the shot put, discus and hammer throws.

Following this weekend’s competitions, the Rams will compete in the Air Force Twilight on May 4 in Colorado Springs and will also host the Ram Open on May 5 before the MWC championships begin May 9 in San Diego.

Sports staff writer Jeff Dillon can be reached at sports@collegian.com.