Heed my advice or else.

Authors: Hilary Davis

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was the last of times, as this is my final column for the Collegian. I have looked forward to this day, if only so that I can stop being surprised to see my own head in the newspaper every Friday morning (I have a bad memory) and so I will stop receiving strange e-mails from people who think we should date (we shouldn’t – trust me.)

However, this final column is also written with sadness because the end of my Collegian career signals the end of my college career as well. I am nostalgic. I am reminiscent. Oh, who am I kidding? I am a huge liar – I cannot wait to graduate.

So, as I spend just two more weeks running amok at CSU, turning in final projects and taking last exams, I would like to offer some advice to next year’s seniors. Or to whomever, because discrimination is a bad thing, yo.

Nugget O’Wisdom #1: Use your student ID. A lot. Because once that aura of collegiate worldliness and pretentiousness wears off and you are no longer a student, you have to pay an extra quarter at the movies and you can’t have that free drink at Qdoba to which you have become accustomed but cannot pay for because you don’t have a job yet.

Nugget O’wisdom #2: Enjoy all the free stuff. T-shirts, food, food, T-shirts. You may look like a college student when you’re still wearing your Katie and Trevor T-shirt three years later, but at least you won’t look like a starving child. Even if you are a business major who frequents the anthropology club because they know what kind of pizza you like.

Nugget O’Wisdom #3: Check off all the items on the “101 things to do before leaving CSU” list. And, when bored during class (as will inevitably be the case) or when procrastinating writing a paper for said class (as will also inevitably be the case), make up some of your own items, such as: drink a daquiri and float on a tube in the lagoon (check), take random road trips and get lost in the night (double check), out-bike the bike police (not check) and finally, attempt to hold a slumber party in Morgan Library (completion TBA, let me know if you want to come!).

Nugget O’Wisdom #4: Do some stuff that is against all rules and logic. Smoke cigars on the roof of your house, streak the Oval, go to The Rio wearing a cocktail dress and a tiara. The possibilities are endless. I’ve learned that the nights I didn’t play it safe came right before the mornings where I had the best stories to tell. Or not tell, depending on just how against the rules they were.

Nugget O’Wisdom #5: Make the most of your time here. Don’t nap the days away, or spend all your time in front of the TV or Internet. Meet new people. Make new friends. Join Greek Life. Hike Horsetooth. Do what makes you happy. You only get out of it what you put in to it.

.and I’m sure you got out of this column long ago. I’m not really the sentimental type, nor am I so very wise, as I’m sure you’ve figured out. I have no authority to tell you what to do, nor should I give unsolicited advice. I’m just a girl with her head in the newspaper. And after today, no more page four. So thanks for reading, CSU – I’m off to take a nap. And really, we shouldn’t date. I promise. GO RAMS!

Hilary Davis is a senior technical journalism major. Her column will never again appear in the Collegian every Friday as she will graduate cum laude from the College of Liberal Arts in two weeks. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.