1,000 cranes for peace

Authors: Jessi Stafford

Legend has it in Japan that when one thousand paper cranes are made, a wish will come true. And one student group at CSU is wishing for relief for the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting.

So they’re making a thousand cranes and sending them to Virginia.

“In Japan, one thousand cranes means peace,” said Ayuri Kawaguchi, secretary for the Japanese Student Association. “”We are trying to show our support for the victims.especially because the killer was Asian.”

Anyone who wants to make a paper crane can go to JSA’s table on the Lory Student Center Plaza or the Sculpture Garden Friday and every day next week from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. until the goal is reached – there are about 300 so far. JSA members will teach others how to make paper cranes.

They are also encouraging people to write a note or a prayer on the paper before it is placed on the string. Writing on the cranes is not common practice, but it is something that JSA thought would be special for this particular situation.

“This time we are asking people to write messages,” Kawaguchi said. “Most people are writing ‘God bless you’ or ‘my thoughts are with you’ and some write in Japanese.”

The last time JSA folded one thousand paper cranes was just after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Virginia Tech set up the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund to raise money for victims and community members. The JSA is donating to that fund as well.

A donation box has also been set up for anyone who wishes to contribute to the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund. The money raised by the fund will go toward things like assisting the victims and the families, grief counseling, memorials and communication expenses.

To learn more, or to donate, visit www.vt.edu/tragedy/memorial_fund.php.

Staff writer Jessi Stafford can be reached at news@collegian.com.