KCSU wins national awards

Authors: Liz Sunshine

KCSU took top honors in Las Vegas over the weekend, earning awards for best on-air personality and best specialty program in the nation.

The Broadcast Education Association awarded Ashton Metcalf best on-air personality while Baker Machado, Alex Hannum and Clifton Garrison brought home best specialty program for “Baker and Alex: Live!”

“It doesn’t make me anything different but it means so much to me,” said Metcalf. “Honestly the award I won last night meant more to me than any BEA because these people are with me everyday.”

Metcalf also won Most Outstanding KCSU Staff Member Tuesday night at KCSU’s staff appreciation dinner.

KCSU is no stranger to winning best on-air personality in America. Baker Machado won for the past two years, and Steve “Maverick” Hendrickson brought home second place this year.

General Manager of Student Media Jeff Browne believes the awards “confirm what we already knew about KCSU.that they are the best at what they do.”

“I was really excited when I first found out,” Hannum said. “It really validated our work to hear that someone else thought we were doing a good job”.

“I am so unbelievably thrilled at the success of this radio station,” said Machado. “In four years I don’t think we have ever been more successful than we have been this year.”

Machado has worked for KCSU for four-and-a-half years starting the summer before his freshman year.

“I am very proud of all the awards we won this year and the people who have worked so hard to earn them” said Christina Dickenson, incoming station manager for KCSU “Without them the station wouldn’t be as amazing or as fun as it is.”

The sentiment was shared by Mario Caballero, the broadcasting adviser at Student Media, when he was asked about this group of students. “I expect that they will step up once again and continue to do good radio reporting and we are always looking for the next great radio personality,” he said.

Others awards include Adam Hansen for The 80s Extravaganza winning third in America for specialty program and Cole Weinman winning third for best sports reporter in America.

Verve Editor Liz Sunshine can be reached at verve@collegian.com.