Authors: Sear Star

A freshman CSU basketball player pointed a handgun at a teammate’s head and fired a round into a couch after his teammate suggested he hadn’t been raised right and should start going to church, a witness and police said Monday.

Xavier Kilby, a freshman liberal arts major, was arrested early Sunday, shortly after the incident, and posted bail on Monday. He faces felony menacing and prohibited use of weapons, a misdemeanor.

No one was injured.

Stephan Gilling was at Kilby’s Ram’s Crossing apartment when an argument regarding church services began between Kilby and sophomore teammate Ronnie Aguilar.

“I knew that he had (the gun),” Gilling said Monday afternoon. “But I never thought he would use it like that.”

In the early morning hours of Sunday, he and Aguilar were at Kilby’s apartment, trying to convince him to attend church, Gilling said. Alcohol was involved, he said.

When Aguilar told Kilby that he hadn’t been raised right, the argument came to an abrupt end, Gilling said.

Kilby brandished his .22 caliber revolver and pointed the gun barrel at Aguilar’s head, Gilling and police said.

Aguilar pushed Kilby’s arm away after aiming the gun at his head and then Kilby fired a “warning signal” into a couch, Gilling said.

“That’s when I knew it was time to get out of there,” said Gilling, Aguilar’s roommate.

Gilling and Aguilar left Kilby’s place together with “(Kilby) right behind (Aguilar) with a gun in his hand,” he said.

They returned home and called police around 2:54 a.m. Police arrested Kilby soon after.

Kilby posted his $20,000 bond on Monday and has a court date set for April 30.

The new men’s basketball head coach, Tim Miles, released a statement after the arrest.

“Our expectations for the student-athletes in our program are that they are commendable citizens who are held in high regard,” he said in the prepared statement. “This type of behavior is neither acceptable nor tolerable. He will not be allowed to be a part of any team activities until further notice.”

Miles also spoke to the Collegian by phone Monday afternoon.

“I have great concern for all our student athletes, especially Ronnie,” Miles said. “This is a situation where tempers escalated to a point that is shocking.”

According to the CSU Student Conduct Code, a student is not allowed to attend class nor any university-sponsored activities during a suspension until all investigations are complete.

Gilling, a 6-foot-2 guard from Chino Hills, Calif. who played in all 30 games for the Rams this season, confirmed that he plans on transferring to Long Beach State. Kilby is a 6-foot-8 forward from Phoenix, Ariz., did not plan on returning to play for CSU next year, according to his teammates.

Kilby averaged 4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 28 games this past season.

Men’s basketball beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.