Authors: Nikki Cristello

Pi Beta Phi held its second annual Arrow Spike Volleyball Tournament Sunday. Proceeds for the fundraiser go to the Arrowmont Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and to other literacy causes across the country.

“I feel really good about donating to literacy because we spend so much time and effort promoting it to (those of an) underprivileged background,” said Laura Siem, a sophomore dance major and philanthropy chair for Pi Beta Phi.

The volleyball tournament brought over 200 people with the 13 teams to the intramural fields to either play a game or cheer on friends. The sorority raised about $650.

“I think we had a great turnout,” said Holly Filak, sophomore biology major and Vice President of Pi Beta Phi. “People were very excited and having fun.”

Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts was founded in 1912 as a Settlement School and carried education, economic development and health care to Gatlinburg. Pi Beta Phi was the sorority awarded CSU Greek Chapter of the year. They were also awarded the Presidential Vision award. The Vision award will bring in Greek and non-Greek alumni from CSU who have been successful.

Morgan Davis, sophomore mechanical engineering major and vice president of communications for Pi Phi said she was happy with the event.

“We would like to recognize a lot successful CSU graduates,” Davis said. “We want to have a large variety of people with different majors to show that everyone’s majors are equally applicable it’s just what you put into it.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.