Authors: Nick Hubel

The CSU softball team was hoping the road would cure the losing blues, but unfortunately that was not the case Thursday against the BYU Cougars.

BYU swept the struggling Rams, who have now lost its last four games in a row and have dropped to fourth place in the Mountain West Conference with a 2-4 conference record (23-22 overall).

Game one was all about the offense, with the teams combining for 16 runs and 23 hits. Unfortunately for the Rams, most of that production was picked up by BYU.

A seven-run, six-hit bottom of the fourth vaulted the Cougars to a 10-6 win over the visiting Rams. Right fielder Emi Snow and shortstop Jodi Norton each homered in the frame. BYU finished with four home runs and two doubles in the game.

For CSU, freshman centerfielder Allison Majam provided most of the offensive highlights. The California native was 2-3 at the plate, with five RBIs and two homeruns. The homers were her sixth and seventh of the season, giving her the second highest total on the team.

From the circle, sophomore Kim Klabough picked up the loss for the Rams, moving her record to an even 8-8. Klabough went 5.1 innings, giving up five runs on 10 hits, with three strikeouts and no walks.

Game two was much of the same story for CSU, as the Rams gave up three runs in both the third and fourth innings on their way to a 10-3 loss.

CSU was led offensively by senior pitcher Jessica Strickland and freshman Ashley Munoz. Strickland was 2 for 3 with a double and a run, and Munoz picked up two hits of her own, including one walk and one RBI.

Freshman Rebecca Penland picked up the loss for CSU, dropping her record to 5-4. Penland went 4.0 innings, giving up seven runs on seven hits, with four walks and one strikeout.

The Rams will travel to Salt Lake City Friday and Saturday to play two against the last place Utah Utes. Game times are set for 4 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday.

Softball beat writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.