Authors: Nikki Cristello

Kelly Jo Karnes wants to make Greek Life more multicultural.

Karnes, who is currently the Associate Director in the office of Student Activities and Leadership at Old Dominion University in Virginia, was interviewed for the position of Greek Life director on Thursday.

Mark Koepsell, current Greek Life director at CSU, is set to step down from his position at the end of this semester to become director of the Mid-American Greek Council Association.

Karnes is the second candidate to be heard by a group of CSU Greeks for the position.

The group has narrowed the search down to two candidates. The other is Ryan Williams, currently at Southern Methodist University.

“It looks like you have started good things,” Karnes said about the Greeks. “We just need to let people know why they should check things out.”

She also said she would appreciate having the backing of the university.

“I like the idea of being at an institution where Greek Life has support from the staff and the president,” Karnes said.

Karnes touched on the need for Greeks to be a tightly knit community.

“You have to be able to support each other internally,” Karnes said. “There are enough people trying to tear us down.”

Her multicultural expansion would extend to the National Panhellenic Council, the Latino/a Greek Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council.

The National Panhellenic Council governs the “Divine Nine” historically black sororities. The Latino/a Greek Council acts as the governing body of the multicultural Greeks.

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.