Authors: Liz Sunshine

In an attempt to try something new this week I decided to take on making ravioli.

I had never made ravioli before and it became a challenge that I will have to take on a few more times to master.

In most cases I can take on a recipe whether I have made it before or not and end up with decent results. This was not really the case this week when what I thought was an easy recipe went awry.

Jeremy and Marissa joined me in the adventure I was about to embark upon and turned out to be quite a bit of help.

As I mixed the dough together, a basic flour and egg combination, Jeremy cooked the fresh spinach for the filling.

I should have known at this point that my dinner wasn’t going to turn out as planned. The balance of my ingredients just wasn’t working, either the dough was too wet, sticking to my hands and anything else it touched or it was too dry and getting it to combine was impossible.

After the spinach was done cooking Jeremy drained it and mixed in the ricotta cheese, heavy cream and minced garlic.

All the while Marissa was in charge of making the garlic bread to go with it, which was just a simple recipe of French bread, butter, garlic and parmesan cheese.

I rolled out the dough to about one-eighth inch and began placing the filling inside. Then I closed the ravioli with a fork to ensure that filling stayed filling rather than cheesy-spinach water with noodles in it.

So far dinner still had a chance – large ravioli and garlic bread, both filling and great tasting.

The trouble came as the ravioli were being been boiled.

The dough even at one-eighth of an inch was so thick that the filling was cooked before the noodles.

The saving grace of the meal turned out to be the garlic bread and the great company.

Aaron, another Collegian employee, joined us to take photos and eat. We all sat around and joked with each other before heading back into the newsroom to finish off work for the day.

Normally this is the point where I would leave you with a recipe but since the meal didn’t turn out well I will spare you from unwittingly heading into the same mess I ended up with.

Instead and only until I figure out how to make ravioli, I will suggest buying frozen and making your garlic bread from scratch.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Verve editor Liz Sunshine can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

____________________________

Recipe:

Garlic Bread

1 loaf of French bread

1 clove garlic

butter

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cut bread into individual slices and place in a 200-degree oven to begin toasting. Once slightly brown take out the bread and spread butter on top. Cut off the end of the garlic clove and rub it on top of the buttered bread. Sprinkle cheese on top of the bread and place back in the oven until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!