Apr 172007

Authors:

———- Forwarded message ———-

From: Unirel@vt.edu

Date: Apr 16, 2007 9:26 AM

Subject: Shooting on campus.

To: Multiple recipients

A shooting incident occurred at West Amber Johnston earlier this morning.

Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact

Virginia Tech Police if you observe anything suspicious or with information

on the case. Contact Virginia Tech Police at 231-6411

Stay attuned to the www.vt.edu. We will post as soon as we have more

information.

From: Unirel@vt.edu

Date: Apr 16, 2007 10:52 AM

Subject: Second Shooting Reported; Police have one gunman in custody

To: Multiple recipients

In addition to an earlier shooting today in West Ambler Johnston, there has

been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.

Police and EMS are on the scene.

Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure,

they continue to search for a second shooter.

All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further

notice.

All entrances to campus are closed.

From: Virginia.Tech.news@vt.edu

Date: Apr 17, 2007 9:24 AM

Subject: Update for University Community Regarding Campus Tragedy

To: Multiple recipients

Tuesday, April 17

Virginia Tech continues to mourn the loss of 33 members of our community. As

we move forward, we share the following information:

Virginia Tech will cancel all classes for the remainder of the week to allow

students the time they need to grieve and seek assistance as needed. The

university will re-open administrative operations beginning tomorrow,

Wednesday, April 18, understanding that some faculty and staff may wish to

take additional time off this week to grieve the loss of fellow colleagues

and friends. We ask individual employees to communicate with their

supervisors of their schedules for the balance of the week.

We will close Norris Hall for the remainder of the semester. Staff are

currently working to arrange alternative location for classrooms and faculty

offices.

Counseling and other resources are available for students, faculty, and

staff. Students may receive counseling at McComas Hall and counselors will

be available for extended hours. Counselors will also be available in West

Amber Johnston for residents.

Employees may receive needed support by going to the Brush Mountain Room in

Squires Student Center throughout the day.

The university will be holding a convocation ceremony at 2 p.m. at Cassell

Coliseum. This will be the first time the Virginia Tech community will come

together since the tragedy to share our collective sorrow. At that time,

President George Bush, First Lady Laura Bush, Gov. Timothy Kaine, Mrs. Kaine

members of our Board of Visitors, members of the clergy, our students, and

poet Nikki Giovanni will share messages of condolence to the family and

friends of the victims and words of hope to all of us as we move forward

past this tragedy.

Again we encourage all members of the Virginia Tech community to attend.

Should the coliseum be full, the event will be broadcast on campus cable

stations.

The Virginia Tech community, and the world at large, continues to struggle

with these horrible events. We hope these steps will help in that healing

process.

 Posted by at 5:00 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.