Authors: Sean Star

The news of the deadliest campus shooting in American history rang all too close to home for one former Virginia Tech basketball star.

Myron Guillory, the former recruiting coordinator for the Rams men’s basketball team for the past two seasons, told the Collegian Monday during a phone call that his wife, Courtney Ottley, used to reside in the West Ambler Johnston Hall – the same dormitory where the first fatality occurred around 7:15 a.m. Monday.

The following is Guillory’s reaction to the shooting: “Obviously, it caught us by surprise. I was shocked. Virginia Tech was always known to be a safe campus when I was there.”

The former Hokie star said the “novelty” of the incident struck him as the most shocking.

“(The tragedy) has nothing to do with the reflection of what Virginia Tech is like,” he said. “Blacksburg is a great community, a very sympathetic community.”

As of 1 p.m. Monday, Guillory had not had contact with anybody from the university but said he felt sympathetic for all the families involved and that his prayers are with them.

Guillory played for the Hokies basketball team from 1994-98 and led his team to the highest ranking in school history (8th) in 1996.

Guillory said he expected to hear some “good news” concerning his basketball coaching career sometime this week after a coaching change in the CSU basketball program more than three weeks ago led to the end of his tenure with the Rams.

The Lake Charles, La., native said he is confident the city of Blacksburg and the university will recover from the tragedy.

Staff writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.