Authors: Nikki Cristello

Paul Travis hung on for dear life to a bucking bull for four seconds before succumbing to the steer and falling hard off the beast.

“I went for at least six seconds, maybe,” said Travis, a junior biology major who claimed he was going to go to bull riding school. “But real bulls don’t fall over on their sides.”

The black plastic bull was rigged up with ropes, which volunteers yanked to try to buck off the rider. Riders got points for riding and signing in to add to their points for Greek Week, which is supporting Habitat for Humanity.

Habitat for Humanity is raising funds to build a home for the Strikic family, a needy Bosnian family currently residing in Fort Collins.

Travis, the new president of Delta Tau Delta, will be starting to ride actual bulls next week. He endured the windy weather to support Greek Week.

Greek Week is a week of friendly competition between teams of sororities and fraternities.

Heather Skeen, senior zoology major and vice president of leadership for the Panhellenic Council, said it’s a great way for Greeks to meet each other.

“Its great how excited people get to be involved,” Skeen said. “Even when it’s not the warmest weather, people still turn out.”

About 300 Greeks rode the bull between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

“It is great to see the community coming together between classes,” said Jarred Quintana, junior finance and real estate major, and president of the Inter-fraternity Council.

“It’s not good practice,” Travis said. “But its fun and its for a good cause.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.