Authors: Vimal Patel, Emily Polak

Parking permits will cost 175 percent more over three years for students – to $234 per year from $85 now – if a proposal announced Wednesday night is approved.

Dave Bradford, commander of CSU Parking Services, presented plans at the Associated Students of CSU meeting for an official proposal that would also increase the cost of parking in metered spots to $1 per hour by July 2008 from the current 50 cents.

The proposal, set to be presented to the CSU board of governors in June, would phase in the increases over three years; “Z” parking permits for students would cost $135 in July, $206 in July 2008, and $234 in July 2009.

The money is needed, Bradford said, to pay for a parking garage and to keep up with the increased costs of maintaining the parking lots.

“Parking Services has to pay for itself,” Bradford said. “We have to be self supported.”

All revenue for Parking Services is generated from permit sales and parking fines. It all goes back to building and maintaining parking spaces and enforcing parking regulations, according to Parking Services.

And with the flurry of expected new buildings on campus shrinking the number of on-campus parking spots, coupled with an expected influx in the student in faculty population over five years, more parking spaces are needed to accommodate students, Bradford said.

Parking Services has also concluded that a new parking garage is necessary. If the plan is approved, CSU “expects to begin construction on its first parking garage in fall 2008,” according to the proposal.

Officials estimate the cost of a parking garage to be between $9 million and $20 million, depending on size and location. A timeline for completion hasn’t been finalized, according to Parking Services.

Three locations for a parking garage being considered are at the University Square on the corner of Pitkin Street and College Avenue, at the corner of Centre Avenue and Lake Street, and along Laurel Street.

Students were divided on the increase.

“That better be one hot parking spot for $234,” said Joe Todd, a sophomore psychology major, outside the library on Wednesday night.

Others were more receptive.

“It’s still cheaper than Boulder,” said Hal Anderson, a junior real-estate management major.

The price for parking permits at CU-Boulder, in fact, is between $195 and $297, depending on the distance from buildings and whether the lot is paved, according to CSU Parking Services.

Staff writers Vimal Patel and Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com.

_______________________________

Proposed Parking Changes

Meter rates will change from 50 cents to 75 cents in July 2007, and then from 75 cents to $1 in July 2008.

Daily permits will change from $2 to $4 per day in July 2007, and then from $4 to $6 per day in July 2008.

“A” permits will change from $95 to $150 in July 2007, from $150 to $206 in July 2008, and from $206 to $261 in July 2009.

“Z” permits will change from $85 to $135 in July 2007, from $135 to $184 in July 2008, and from $184 to $234 in July 2009.

“Q,” “W” and “X” permits will change from $110 to $174 in July 2007, from $174 to $238 in July 2008, and from $238 to $303 in July 2009.

Motorcycle permits will change from $45 to $71 in July 2007, from $71 to $97 in July 2008, and from $97 to $124 in July 2009.