Cost of life in dorms rises

Authors: Emily Polak

Living on campus will cost 10 percent more starting this fall and Housing and Dining Services wants students to know about it.

“We need to give people a heads up and get rates out,” said James Dolak, executive director of HDS.

After students expressed concern about the lack of awareness regarding a potential tuition increase late last month, HDS wants to let students know exactly what they are planning for fall.

“We want to be proactive and forthright with rates,” said Tonie Miyamoto, spokeswoman for HDS.

It will cost $3,546 per semester for the average room plan, nearly $400 more than this year.

“I was considering living on campus again, but now there is no way,” said Nate Marsteller, a sophomore biological science major.

Room and board costs usually go up by about 5 percent each year due to cost-of-living increases but this year the university is demanding more from HDS.

“It is the cost of doing business on campus,” Miyamoto said.

HDS is being charged an additional $500,000 by the university, raising its charge to $2.5 million.

Dolak said the residence halls, some of which are 50 years old, are in need of renovation and part of the increase is to fund a long list of projects needed to keep CSU competitive.

“By charging more now, we will be able to make the halls a better place to live,” Dolak said.

New halls, which are funded separately and improvements for old halls are part of the stretch goals that President Larry Penley has for the university.

“We want to make the halls better just like Penley wants to make the institution better,” Dolak said.

Dolak said HDS could use $5 millionto $6 million a year to complete improvement projects including new floors, paint, furniture and general maintenance. Through the increase proposed for next year, HDS will receive $2.5 million for renovations.

It’s also set to roll the one-time $150 technology fee into the total charge for living on campus. A refund will be issued for those returning to the residence halls.

Housing costs at CSU are still cheaper than CU-Boulder, UNC and other peer schools, according to information provided by HDS.

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com