Don’t Blame Me!

Authors: Nick Hemenway

I have a confession to make – I am an illegal alien.

Many years ago in Mexico, my wife and I decided to roll the dice and seek out our piece of the American dream. There was one problem though; we didn’t want to wait for all the paperwork to go through. We had to get in right away. So we headed for the border with a few of our possessions and prepared ourselves for a new life.

Did I feel bad about jumping over the border into the United States? Not really. I mean, I’m not here to hurt anyone, and I hear those laws don’t really matter. Besides, I am sure it says somewhere in their Constitution thing that Mexicans have the God-given right to be in the U.S. at any time, right?

When we entered the country, my wife and I decided to continue our journey north to Colorado. We ended up settling in a small city called Greeley. Although the smell took time to get used to, I found a job working at a local meatpacking plant. But before I could get the job, I had to make an identity for myself. I ended up stealing some random guy’s social security number. It worked out really well, he didn’t even notice.

Two years later, my wife and I had baby boy. Soon after, we welcomed a daughter into the family. Lucky for us, since the kids were born here, they are officially U.S. citizens.

I continued to work at the meatpacking plant for several years, supporting my family here and sending the rest of my money to my relatives back in Mexico. However, that all came to end.

One cold December morning, I was at work when all of these government agents rushed into the plant, demanding to see our papers.

Needless to say, I was caught. They found out that I had jumped the border. They also told me about the man whose identity I stole. Apparently, he has had to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to restore his record, his credit, and some other things.

What nerve these people have! How could they tell me that I can’t be here? Who cares that I don’t pay taxes or that I use the local emergency room as my family doctor’s office? It’s not like those people care about where their tax money goes.

Why should I have to follow their laws anyway? I didn’t sign anything, this isn’t my home.

They are just racists. They hate me because I am Mexican. These people are just bigots and uneducated hicks.

If they force me to go back to Mexico, my family will be split up. I know it’s really my fault that only half of the family is legal, but I don’t care. These agents are the ones to blame! Sure I could just take my whole family back to Mexico, but I want to be here. I have every right that citizens have!

I do not want to take responsibility for my own actions! Once I cross that border I am done. Nothing I do after that should affect me.

Fortunately for me, those politician people will never do anything to me. If they try, I’ll just show them my kids. I’ll tell them it is okay that I break laws because I’m just trying to support my family. If all else fails, I will just call them ignorant racists and bigots again.

Until these people start to care about their own laws, I will continue to break them.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears every Tuesday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.