Eagles drop two straight

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

After taking a commanding lead in their first round playoff series against the Youngstown SteelHounds, the Colorado Eagles have hit a bump in the road to round two.

The Eagles dropped back-to-back games over the weekend, letting Youngstown back into the series. Colorado still leads the best of seven contest three games to two.

On Saturday, Colorado scored three third-period goals to get within striking distance of the SteelHounds, but it wasn’t enough. Youngstown scored the final two goals of the game to pick up a 6-3 victory.

Left wing Ryan Tobler and centers Riley Nelson and Sean Robertson posted goals for the Eagles in the loss.

Colorado was forced to play catch up the entire game, after giving up three goals in the first two periods.

Eagles goalie Paulo Colaiacovo struggled during the game; stopping only 21 of 27 shots fired his way.

A late charge by the Eagles again fell short on Friday night. Forward Seth Leonard scored a goal with 24 seconds left in the third period to bring Colorado within one, but there wasn’t enough time to complete the comeback as the Eagles fell to Youngstown 2-3.

Right wing Greg Pankewicz gave the Eagles an early first period lead, but the SteelHounds would clamp down holding the Colorado scoreless until Leonard’s late third-period score. Youngstown posted three unanswered goals, including the game winning power play goal by defenseman Stephen Margeson to get their first victory of the series.

The Eagles special teams hurt the team. Colorado failed to take advantage of power plays, going 0-8 during the game compared to Youngstown went who 2-5.

The series now heads back to Colorado where the Eagles will host games six on Tuesday and if necessary game seven on Wednesday. So far this season Colorado is perfect at home during the playoffs, defeating Youngstown convincingly in games one and two. In the past, the Eagles have had success on home ice during the playoffs, showing an all time record of 13-4.

Eagles beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.