Authors: Mary Swanson

The 2nd Annual Art and Science Exhibition begins today in the North Ballroom of the Lory Student Center. The Exhibition will feature art inspired science or artistically scientific images.

Art-inspired science can mean many things, said Hannah Shandis, event planner.

“A study of a beetle done in large ceramic floor tiles, or a woven tapestry with a design thought of after reading a scientific article, the images could also be biological drawings of insects, X-rays, graphs, or even fractal art,” she said. “It needs only have a recognizable math/science and art components.”

An awards ceremony is set for 7 p.m. today in the LSC North Ballroom. The artists with the top 10 pieces will receive ribbons and a certificate, while the artists of the top three pieces will also receive an iPod.

The pieces were judged by Dr. Ann Gill, dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Dr. Dan Bush, biology chair, and Dr. Patrick Fahey, art department chair, on a scale of 1-7.

Exhibition is considerably larger this year. It features 99 works from 55 artists. Last year, the event sponsored 80 pieces from 32 entrants. Shandis hopes that this year’s awards opening will attract more than the 200 people it did last year.

“The benefits of having work exhibited can vary from person to person, but the main benefit is to the campus community overall,” she said. “Personal benefits might include recognition and exposure.”

The exhibition will be open to the public from 10 a.m. until after the awards ceremony today as well as from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Staff writer Mary Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com.