Authors: The Editorial Board

Mormons, marijuana smokers, lesbians, entertainment fans and alcohol consumers are all destined for the gates of hell.

At least that’s the way Brother Matt, the rock-mounted, Plaza-yelling, self-proclaimed preacher, sees it. And as far as we are concerned, that is fine by us.

We do not claim to know where people go after they die, or if it is anywhere but in the ground, but in the Plaza anyone can come and express his or her beliefs and opinions about anyone and anything.

Brother Matt not only takes full advantage of the free speech doctrine that defines the country, but his fiery edict provokes pointed debate among students and professors. And passionate debate can lead to learning about new ideas and beliefs, which is the reason one attends a university in the first place.

Do we always agree with what Brother Matt says? No. However, we do appreciate his determination in maintaining his right to free speech. When it comes down to it, we agree with William O. Douglas, a former Supreme Court Justice, who said, “Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.”

So say what you want about Brother Matt’s beliefs and antics, but remember his right to free speech is the same as yours.