Authors: James Baetke

Voter turnout for the student body elections was at about 12 percent Tuesday, according to preliminary figures from the Associated Students of ASCSU.

That number is less than half the goal set by the ASCSU Elections Committee, but is expected to rise today, the last day of voting.

“Our goal for Monday was 12 percent and it was eight percent,” said Audrey LaSalle, elections manager for ASCSU. “The biggest turnout day is usually Monday.”

Addressing the Elections Committee hearing Tuesday night, LaSalle said this election may shape up differently because many students are still undecided about which ticket to vote for.

“We did everything in out power to get out the vote,” she said.

The current voter record turnout was in 2003 with 23 percent of the student body. LaSalle had said she wanted to hit 25 percent this year.

The committee completed 37 pieces of marketing and still plans to scour the Lory Student Center Plaza today to get students to submit their vote.

Katie Gleeson and Trevor Trout are running against Jake Blumberg and Sean Abbey for ASCSU president and vice president, respectively.

Two random voters will win a new iPod and bicycle, among other offered incentives.

Jason Green, president of ASCSU, praised the committee for all their long hours and commitment to wrangling votes for the presidential, vice presidential and senatorial candidates.

“You guys have gone above and beyond,” Green said. “I want to commend you.”

The winners are expected to be announced tonight in the LSC Senate chamber at the end of tonight’s ASCSU meeting.

Students can still vote on RamWeb until 4 p.m. today.

City Editor James Baetke can be reached at news@collegian.com.