Authors: Nikki Cristello

The two women of Zeta Phi Beta are celebrating their version of Finer Womanhood Month by holding a series of free events to help students de-stress.

Zeta Phi Beta, a historically black sorority, consists of two women.

While the sorority is small, its presence on campus is not.

Students who attended today’s kick-off event enjoyed manicures, free massages, facials and food for “Blue Bliss Spa Day” held in the Lory Student Center.

“Celebrating finer womanhood means having ideals we aspire to live by as a sorority,” said Adesuwa Elaiho, vice president and sophomore food safety and nutrition major.

The event was held to promote the March of Dimes Walk America, which focuses on premature births.

In order to allow students to get pampered in between classes, Elaiho and President Astrid Sisk, a senior history major, called local businesses and asked them to donate their services.

“We asked local businesses here to help out local businesses and to allow students to be pampered between classes,” Sisk said. “We really appreciate them coming out here. They could be making hundreds of dollars, but instead they are here.”

The women describe their sorority as a community-service conscious, action oriented organization.

Tuesday, April 10, Zeta Phi Beta is hosting “Real Talk,” a discussion of issues facing women on campus. It will be held in Room 203-205 of the Lory Student Center.

Tuesday, April 17, the women will be hosting an evening with Zora Neale Hurston. The Zeta Phi Betas hope to use Hurston’s words to inspire the women on campus, they said. The author will read her biography and other selected readings.

If you would like to donate to the March of Dimes, please e-mail the women of Zeta Phi Beta at csu1920zphib@hotmail.com.

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.