Authors: Brian Park

Visiting curator Peter Macnair will explain how artist Susan Point has used various forms of artwork, including jewelry, paintings, and glass and wooden sculptures, to bring the culture of indigenous Canadians to life.

Point is an artist based in Vancouver, British Columbia, who since the early 1980s has produced silkscreen prints, three-dimensional art projects and a large scale work at the Vancouver International Airport.

Point’s art is based on Coast Salish, people native to the southeastern part of Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of British Columbia.

“Susan Point has been active for the past 25 years and she has carved her own path,” said Macnair in an e-mail interview. “As you will see from the exhibition ‘A Point in Time,” publications about her work, and from my lecture, she is unique among her peers.”

The lecture, entitled “Susan Point: Inspiration, Innovation and Influence,” will take place today at 5 p.m. in the Griffin Concert Hall of the University Center for the Arts.

“We’re so amazed by her (Point’s) work,” said Linny Frickman, director of the Clara Hatton Gallery. “She has taken this native tradition and made it incredibly vibrant in public settings, her work is just beautiful.”

The exhibition “Susan Point: A Point in Time” is on display in the Clara Hatton Gallery in the Visual Arts Building until April 27.

Since her birth, Point has lived on the Musqueam First Nation Reservation in Vancouver.

Macnair is the former curator of ethnology at the Royal British Columbia Museum in Vancouver.

“Point is an excellent role model for anyone who has artistic aspirations, in whatever school of art,” Macnair said. “She is very self-reliant and persists until she finds answers to her questions.”

Staff writer Brian Park can be reached at news@collegian.com.