Authors: Marissa HuttonGavel

With the first day of voting over, students have two days left to cast a vote for next year’s student government leaders.

“For the most part, everything went really well,” said Audrey LaSalle, senior accounting manager and elections manager for the Associated Students of CSU.

With only hundreds of dollars remaining in the budgets of the presidential tickets – Jake Blumberg and Sean Abbey versus Katie Gleeson and Trevor Trout – both are in the final stretch to win votes and discuss their platforms.

Each candidate is given a $2,000 budget. The Blumberg/Abbey ticket has $630 left, while Gleeson and Trout had $356 Monday, said Chris Wilke, ASCSU controller.

“It was a great day,” Blumberg said. “We had a lot more people coming up to talk about the issues.”

Gleeson agreed.

“I think it went really well,” she said. “It’s still hard to grasp where you are, though.”

It remains to be seen, however, whether students will take the time to log on and vote.

“I feel like it’s been more advertised since I’ve been here,” said Megan Kanda, a junior biology major. “You get Facebook messages, MySpace messages, there are signs and people wearing shirts everywhere.”

After becoming more involved on campus her sophomore year – she also works for the box office – Kanda decided the elections are not only important but easy to participate in.

“I want some say in who our future president and vice president are,” she said. “It’s really easy now that it’s on RAMweb.”

Since the birth of RAMweb in 2004, voting has become more convenient and popular than before.

“I’ll tell you right now, that’s where the jump from 10 to 20 percent came from,” LaSalle said. referring to the increased voting since RAMweb was created.

Along with manning the computers set up on the Plaza, LaSalle, Wilke and other elections committee members try to provide incentive to vote as well.

Students can enter to win an iPod or a mountain bike just for voting and coupons for 15 percent off of any item in the Rams Bookstore are also available.

Computer booths will be set up on the Plaza from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and Wednesday. Voting ends at 4 p.m. with the announcement of next year’s leadership after the ASCSU Senate meeting Wednesday night.

Campus Editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel can be reached at news@collegian.com.