Authors: Emily Polak

The majority of proposed increases in student fees are beyond the control of the Student Fee Review Board and mandated through the state and the CSU administration, a member of the board said Monday.

“It is something that the board is constrained by,” said SFRB member Andrew Angley. “The board technically doesn’t have a whole lot of say about it, and we can’t vote it down.”

The student board is in the midst of approving fee proposals from several campus departments. If all the proposals are approved, student fees would increase by 14 percent to about $1,085 per student per year.

The proposed fee increase for the 2007-08 school year would raise student fees by more than $67 per student per semester. But more than $50 is mandated by the state and the CSU budget office – not by individual departments on campus.

CSU has tried not to place large fee increases on students in the past, but next year’s increases are necessary to help close gaps in funding, said Tony Frank, senior vice president and provost of CSU, in an e-mail to the SFRB.

“As a university, we are behind in programs and services,” Angley said. “I think the university is trying to close that gap.”

Sadie Conrad, vice president of the Associated Students of CSU, said CSU needs more funding.

‘Their requests aren’t out of line,” Conrad said. “The university really does need money.”

The SFRB approved fees for the Career Center and the Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement and will continue to vote on proposals from other departments, including athletics, next week.

Auxiliaries of the university, including Hartshorn Health Center, the Lory Student Center and the Recreation Center, will be hit with general and administrative costs totaling $1.55 million in revenue for the university. The money will come out of student pockets.

“I feel very comfortable stating that all of the expenses would improve the quality of the education and institution and hence the value of a CSU degree,” Frank said.

Amid the university being pummeled by criticism of CSU’s fiscal plans and actions, Conrad said she was happy to see students becoming more interested and aware of where their money goes.

“It is really a balancing game between what students need and what is good for the university,” Conrad said.

Senior reporter Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com