Track

Junior Drew Morano sparkled in his season debut for the track team, winning both the 200- and 400-meter races, leading the CSU Rams against multiple opponents Saturday at the Tom Benich Classic in Greeley.

Morano, who qualified for the NCAA regionals last season, was able to battle through harsh winds in both his heats to take first place. His 200-meter time of 21.11 seconds would have qualified him for the NCAA’s, however, the time was ruled to be wind-aided and therefore cannot be used as a qualifying time.

Morano was not the only athlete to take first place at the Invitational, which had runners from colleges throughout the regions, in addition to competitors from running clubs from around the state. In total, four athletes and two relay teams from CSU took the top spots in their respective competitions.

Senior Janey DeLoach continued her impressive year by taking the top spot in the long jump, 100 meters and the 200 meters. Two freshmen, Tanesha Johnson and Jennifer Ugochukwu, took their second first places in as many weeks, with victories in the triple jump and shot put.

CSU will return to action against CU on Saturday in Boulder.

Water Polo

CSU opened the weekend with an 11-8 victory over Cal State-Monterey Bay Saturday, however that would be the lone bright spot for the Rams, as they went on to lose their next three matches to finish the weekend with only one victory at the Aggie Shootout in Davis, Calif.

CSU lost two nail-biting matches on Sunday dropping a 7-6 decision to No. 19 Santa Clara and a 9-8 loss to Cal State-San Bernardino. Those two defeats followed a 10-2 defeat at the hands of No. 20 Cal State-Northridge.

Laurien White’s school record 14-game scoring streak came to a halt in Saturday’s match against CSNU, however she bounced back on Sunday with a pair of hat tricks. Those goals give White a total of 47 on the season.

The water polo team has the next week off before traveling to Los Angeles for the Loyola Marymount Tournament April 13 and 14.