Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU men’s lacrosse did their best LL Cool J impression this week by sending three teams “Back to Cali” with losses.

CSU dominated Chapman University 17-4 Saturday on the practice fields next to the Student Recreation Center, capping an impressive three-victory week. With the win, the Rams improve to 9-2 (2-1) on the season.

Unlike Thursday’s game against UCSD, CSU’s offense didn’t capitalize as early against Chapman. But once the offense got started they didn’t stop, ending the first quarter with a 4-0 lead. Head Coach Flip Naumburg said the whole team worked well to dominate Chapman.

“We controlled the ball today,” Naumburg said. “They never had the ball and when they did have the ball, we took it away.”

The second quarter saw Chapman score their only goal of the half with 23 seconds left, but it wouldn’t be enough, as CSU pumped in four more goals to finish the half 8-1. The crowd of about 200 fans was a stark contrast to the faithful few who were at Thursday’s cold and snowy game.

The second half saw the typical skillful play turn a little more physical for both teams, but the physicality didn’t stop the Ram’s offense. Four different players scored twice, Danny Stevens had one goal and six assists, and to top that off attackmen Brian Stone and Dylan Bowman recorded hat tricks.

“The offense has been coming along, it’s a work in progress,” Bowman said. “Seventeen goals in any game is great and they were a really good team.”

Chapman scored again in the third quarter but it still wouldn’t be enough as the Rams scored three more to keep the one-sided game, one sided, 11-2.

Sophomore Lance Simmons came in for starting goalie Tyson Ehinger in the fourth quarter but no other position changes were made, as the starting offense and defense stayed in the rest of the game.

Defender Ian Wilson scored his second goal of the day in the fourth quarter, a rarity for lacrosse.

The Rams scored six more times and Chapman twice more before the final whistle in this lopsided win for CSU. Naumburg said there was motivation behind the offensive flurry.

“I’m happy about getting offense from the defense, but I don’t care where the goals come from as long as they come,” said Naumburg. “Chapman was a good team, and I wanted to come out and make a statement.”

Men’s lacrosse beat reporter Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com.