Authors: James Holt

Wade Troxell

Wade Troxell, a CSU engineering professor and District 4 City Council candidate, said he wants more student involvement in politics.

“I have strong ties to CSU,” said Troxell, the associate dean of Research and Economic Development. “I bleed green and gold.”

Running under the slogan “Smart Solutions for Our Future,” Troxell says he wants to ensure strong economic health and vitality in Fort Collins, work on the city budget, and enhance what is uniquely Fort Collins.

“I represent a broad base of Fort Collins and can incorporate CSU – the wonderful people, students and staff.” Troxell said. “Things relative to students, housing and the growth of CSU, become important things to Fort Collins.”

Born in Fort Collins, Troxell graduated from Fort Collins public schools and received three degrees from CSU: his bachelor’s in engineering science in 1980, his master’s in mechanical engineering in 1982, and his doctorate in mechanical engineering in 1987.

He worked for Kodak for two years between getting his master’s and doctorate, and had a post-doctorate fellowship at The University of Edinburgh in Scotland from 1982 to 1988.

As an undergraduate at CSU, Troxell played center for the Rams football team and was captain of the team his senior year.

Troxell and Jean, his wife of 25 years, have a son, Graeme, and a daughter, Ellie, both of whom attend school in Fort Collins. The Troxells attend First Presbyterian Church, where Troxell has served as an elder three times.

“Never underestimate the intellect, power and commitment of students in helping to make this a better world,” Troxell said.

To read more about Troxell’s campaign, go to www.wadetroxell.org.

Glen Colton

Glen Colton, a 28-year Fort Collins resident, said he is running for the City Council’s District 4 seat because he is passionate about keeping Fort Collins the best place to live, work, go to college and retire.

“I want to keep a healthy economy and environment in Fort Collins,” he said. “Fort Collins needs leaders that understand that a healthy environment and a healthy economy are both integral parts of a strong community.”

Born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Colton graduated from Linn-Mar High School in 1974. He graduated from Wartburg College with honors and a double major in accounting and economics. Colton played varsity football and competed in wrestling and track, and he is now a member of the Wartburg Athletic Hall of Fame.

Colton recently retired from Hewlett Packard/Agilent Technologies where he served in finance for 22 years.

In 2003, Colton first ran for Fort Collins’ City Council and “lost narrowly to the incumbent.”

Colton’s civic involvement has included being in the Rocky Mountain Sustainable Living Association, the Natural Resources Advisory Board and the Planning and Zoning Board, where he served as chair for two years.

“I’d like to continue my service to the community on City Council,” he said.

Colton and Trudy, his wife of 27 years, have one daughter, Paige, who is a student in Fort Collins. All three drive hybrid cars and enjoy hiking, biking and skiing.

“CSU is a great part – the cornerstone – of the community,” Colton said. “It helps make this town a great place to live. The students are an important part of that.”

To read more about Colton’s campaign, to go www.glencolton2007.com.

LeRoy Gomez

LeRoy Gomez, who has run for City Council several times in the past, said he is running for the District 4 seat because he feels there is a lack of diversity in the city’s leadership.

“Fort Collins is a racist community.” Gomez said. “Diversity is a big issue.”

Gomez said the lack of minorities in Fort Collins will hurt the community in the long run and that the council has done a “lousy job” dealing with diversity in the past.

“It angers me they’re not even talking about it,” he said.

A middle child of 10 kids, Gomez was born in Antonito. He grew up in Leadville and graduated from Leadville High School in 1963.

After graduating, Gomez worked as a member of the Oil and Atomic Workers Union in mining and in construction where he moved up the ranks to become a foreman.

Gomez attended safety training in California and Michigan and was at the University of Colorado for six months working on labor relations. He has also been an instructor at a local trade school in Denver.

A job at Law Heights power plant brought him to Fort Collins.

Gomez, a self-described Latino activist, has been volunteering for civic causes for 20 years.

“Altogether, I’ve probably sat on 15 boards here in the community,” he said.

He currently sits on the Work Force Investment Board and the School-to-Work Board, where he advises issues of student training.

Gomez has raised four bilingual children and has been married to his wife, Diane, for 18 years. He also serves as an usher at Saint Joseph Catholic Parish in Fort Collins.

Gomez said he would look out for the best interests of CSU students.

“We’re not this little isolated community anymore like some people think,” he said. “Please appreciate diversity.”

Elections will be held April 3.

Staff writer James Holt can be reached at news@collegian.com.