Authors: Nikki Cristello

The Latina women of Lambda Theta Nu are holding a Price is Right Dating Auction Friday in the Ramskellar.

From 7 to 9 p.m., men and women will be auctioned for dates with gift certificates to various restaurants.

The event, which is open to the public, costs $5 at the door.

The Price is Right fundraiser will be held in conjunction with the fraternity Phi Beta Sigma.

The event is the first collaborative effort between the Greek fraternity and sorority. It will support the fraternity’s national charity, Sickle Cell Anemia, and help the sorority women attend the Leadership Development Conference in Atlanta, Ga., which is mandatory.

“It will be a fun chance to mingle with a variety of CSU students, and you could come out with a cute date,” said Molly Gallegos, a senior ethnic studies major and president of Lambda Theta Nu.

The sorority is looking to make women and men less objectified by allowing winners to choose the gift certificate over the date.

An after-party will be held in the Cherokee Ballroom of the Lory Student Center to help those who win dates get to know one another.

Emily Talmich, a senior health and exercise science major, is co-community chair.

“We are distinctive,” Talmich said. “We are not an organization just to join in college. We are a sisterhood that bonds you for life.”

The women of Lambda Theta Nu work towards a common goal – to graduate from college.

“We motivate each other to go to school, get good grades and set high goals for ourselves,” Gallegos said.

The sorority believes in academic excellence, community service and sisterhood.

Marisa Lucero, sophomore business marketing major and vice president of Lambda Theta Nu, said the sorority is more than something to remember.

“For the majority of us Lambda Theta Nu is more than just a sorority,” Lucero said. “These women are my sisters; they are there through the thick and thin.”

Lambda Theta Nu’s main goal is to provide an environment where Latina women can come together and have a family away from family. Seventy percent of their activities are community service-related.

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.