Undergrad Art 2007

Authors: Liz Sunshine

The CSU art world brings young and old together this month by creating two undergraduate art shows for the student body and Fort Collins at large.

The elder member of the CSU art community, the Curfman Gallery has provided opportunities for students to show their work, meet professionals and gain experience working in an art environment for nearly 40 years.

This year is no different with the annual Undergraduate Art Exhibition taking place in the gallery, which is located at the south end of the Lory Student Center. A According to Stan Scott, gallery director, about 200 students entered the show with more than 300 pieces submitted, however only 68 pieces were accepted to the juried show.

Scott believes that the show will give students from outside the art department a good idea of how hard art students work.

“A lot of students might think that being an art major is easy or fun, but if these people could see what really went into the art these students create, they would be taken aback.” said Scott in an e-mail interview Tuesday.

This year’s entries were judged by Kim Ferrer and Jim Foster, who critiqued entries ranging in media including Ceramics, Drawing, Fibers, Graphic Design, Metals, Painting, Photography, Printmaking and Sculpture, which range in size from as large as six feet and as small as one inch by two inches.

Ferrer, currently living in Fort Collins, is a sculptor. She spent time at the Art Students League of New York and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Colorado State University.

Foster, also living in Fort Collins, is a painter and sculptor. In 1967 Foster graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in sculpture and drawing from Pomona College.

The other art exhibit making its way into the art community this month is the Salon de Refuse. Just across the hall in the Art Lounge in the Lory Student Center is this exhibition, which is still in its infancy.

Jenn Kihs, a senior painting focus in the art department, and Adam Bridge, also a senior painting focus, put the Salon de Refuse together this year. The show is in its third year of existence but this is only the second show.

Originally Kihs and Bridge had the space reserved for a show of their own but in working with the Curfman gallery as crew members, Kihs and Bridge saw a need to show all the other work that deserved to be put on display.

Culturally, the Salon de Refuse originally was a French idea, literally meaning the salon of the refused. Anyone not accepted to the Academy, at the time nearly the only way to get work seen, could show their works in the Salon.

Painting and printmaking is the majority of media due to security and space restrictions. Through word of mouth 20 pieces that were not accepted to the Undergrad show have been hung in the Art Lounge.

Kihs and Bridge do not have any work in the Undergrad show but have joined ten other artists in the un-juried Salon show.

The time and space may have been donated by Kihs and Bridge but they gave most of the credit to the students who helped hang the work, Allison Hyde, senior printmaking focus, Mika Walker and Mauvi Crabe, both senior painting focuses.

“The Curfman Gallery gives these students an opportunity to learn how to show their work,” Scott said. “This includes preparing artwork for showing, filling out paperwork, pricing their work, and either getting accepted or rejected. This is probably the hardest learning experience for these artists.”

Since there is no formal announcement regarding who has been accepted to the Undergrad show and who was not, the gallery opening Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. will be the first time all of the artist names will be provided to the public.

Until the opening, black butcher paper covers the glass doors to keep peeping eyes from a sneak peek. Coinciding is the closing of the Salon show so as to optimize the number of attendees to both exhibits.

The exhibit also gives other students and professionals in the area to get to know up-and-coming artists of Colorado State because of these shows. As Kihs said in an interview “this is a pretty good representation in combination with the Undergraduate show of what is coming out of Colorado State’s art department.”

The Show Runs:

March 30th – May 11th.

Curfman Gallery Hours:

9-9pm M-Th

9-9:30pm F

12-4pm Sat

See the Curfman gallery website for additional information. www.curfman.colostate.edu